Subject to the limitations and qualifications stated elsewhere in this catalog, requirements for Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees are as follows:
- The four semesters of residence immediately prior to graduation must be taken in Emory College.
- For students who begin at Emory College of Arts and Sciences or transfer students this means their last 64 hours.
- For Oxford Continuees this means 54 hours with a minimum of three semesters of residence.
- A minimum of 127 credit hours, of which 124 credits hours must be in academic courses, not physical education. No more than 16 credit hours of applied music or 17 one-credit hour dance courses may be counted toward the 124 academic hours.
- For transfer students this could be 125 or 126 credit hours depending on PE Waivers based on credits.
- For Oxford Continuees, the total is still 127 credit hours, including a minimum of 2 PE credits and a third academic or PE credit.
- A grade-point average of at least 2.0 for all work attempted for a letter grade.
- Fulfillment of the course requirements for a major, as determined by the major department or program, with a minimum 2.0 average.
- Fulfillment of the General Education Requirements.
- Satisfaction of all financial obligations to the College and Emory University.
- No degree may be conferred to a student while he or she is suspended from Emory College under the provisions of the College Honor Code or University’s Conduct Code.
Application for Degree
In order to be a degree candidate for any given term, students must file an application for the bachelor’s degree with the College’s Office for Undergraduate Education at the beginning of the semester they expect the degree to be conferred. The application deadlines are indicated in the academic calendar. Forms for this purpose are available online. Students who file an application after the deadline specified in the academic calendar must pay a special processing charge of twenty-five dollars and cannot be assured that their names will appear in the commencement program or that their diplomas will be available at commencement.
Commencement exercises are held annually in May for all students who completed all graduation requirements in the previous summer term, the previous fall term, or the current spring term.
Financial Requirements for Graduation
It is a requirement for graduation that all financial obligations to the University shall have been satisfied. In the case of outstanding loans not then due and payable, loan documents satisfactory to the University must have been executed and delivered to it, and all payments must be current.
Effective Semester: Fall 2020
Approved: By vote of the Emory College Faculty on May 5, 2020
Note: For students who matriculated to Emory College or Oxford College prior to Fall 2020, a 1.9 cumulative grade-point average is required to graduate. Transfer students who matriculated prior to Fall 2020 are still required to achieve a 2.0 cumulative grade-point average to graduate.