Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Minor in Sociology
|Hours To Complete||21|
|Declaration of Minor Contact|
The minor requires 7 courses (minimum 21 hours) in Sociology.
I. Required Course
Minors must take 1 course from the following group (students may select any one):
SOC 201: Organizations & Society
SOC 214: Class, Status, & Power
SOC 221: Culture & Society
SOC 245: Individual & Society
SOC 266: Global Change
SOC 247: Racial & Ethnic Relations
SOC 355: Social Research I
SOC 457: Development of Sociological Theory
The remaining 6 courses are electives. All Sociology courses count as electives, with the following conditions:
- Elective courses must be a minimum of 3 credit hours
- No more than one course (4 hours) from the SOC 497R-499R series may count as an elective toward the minor.
- All 7 courses for the minor must be taken for a letter grade.
- Minors who study abroad may take up to 2 electives abroad.