Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in American Studies BA
|Hours To Complete||44|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
The major requires 44 credits:
- Introduction to American Studies (AMST 201, a Writing Lab course carrying 5 credits)
- At least six Core Concentration Courses in American Studies
- Three Contributing Courses
- one in Broad Historical Perspectives
- one in Humanities Perspectives
- one in Social Science Perspectives
- Senior Symposium (AMST 490)
Meeting with your advisor regularly is the key to creating a concentration that gives real depth and insight into some aspect of American culture.
Note when selecting courses:
- Many courses in other departments can count towards the major (with approval of the DUS). Anthropology, Art History, English, History, Political Science, Religion, Sociology, Human and Natural Ecology, Science, Culture and Society all regularly offer interdisciplinary seminars that are focused on American topics. Any course in African American studies can count toward the American Studies Major.
- We strongly encourage students to select at least one course in their concentration that is either comparative or stretches the boundaries of the United States. Courses in Latin and Caribbean Studies, African Studies, Asian Studies, IDS, are often a way to enrich your understanding of the US is global context.
- The required Senior Symposium is offered only in the Fall and carries 4 credits. If you are planning to study abroad in fall of your senior year, consult early with the DUS, as you should take the course in your junior year.
- Freshman seminars cannot count toward the major.
- If you are double-majoring, up to two courses from your other major plan can count toward your American Studies major (also known as 'double-dipping').