Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in Ancient Mediterranean Studies BA
|Hours To Complete||36|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
Drawing on courses taught by faculty in seven Emory departments, the Ancient Mediterranean Studies major allows students to work with an advisor in developing a focused program of study.
A minimum of 36 credit hours is required (usually 11-12 courses).
Core Introductory Courses (2 courses)
- ANCMED 101: Introduction to Ancient Mediterranean Societies (required) and
- ANCMED 201R: Mediterranean Archaeology or ANCMED 202R: Literature and Traditions
Two semesters of study or the equivalent (e.g, summer program or intensive one semester course) of a single ancient Mediterranean language
Additional Program Courses
Six or seven courses, drawn from at least three different participating departments, of which three must be at the 300 level or above.
ANCMED 498 - Thesis written under advisor from the Program faculty. [Students with a GPA of 3.5. are eligible to participate in the College Honors Program and substitute ANCMED 495 for ANCMED 498 – Honors Independent Writing]