Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in Anthropology BA
|Hours To Complete||36|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
A bachelor of arts degree in anthropology requires a minimum of twelve anthropology courses of 3 or 4 credit hours, with a minimum of a C average in the major. A maximum combined total of eight hours of ANT 397R (Directed Readings), ANT 495 (Honors), and ANT 497R (Undergraduate Research) may be applied toward the major. Only one 100 level course may be used to satisfy the BA requirements (for a total of four 100 level credits). No courses taken using the S/U option may be applied toward the major. A maximum of twelve credit hours earned off the Emory campus may be applied toward the major. Note: Petitions for course substitutions and exceptions will be considered by the Anthropology Undergraduate Concerns Committee. The courses required for the BA must be distributed as follows:
BA majors must take both:
- Anthropology 201: Concepts and Methods in Biological Anthropology
- Anthropology 202: Concepts and Methods in Cultural Anthropology
In addition, all BA majors are required to take one course from the Ant 280R: Anthropological Perspectives on a World area series
Course offerings for additional courses required for the major can be found in the Course Atlas each semester.