Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in Art History BA
|Hours To Complete||37|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
Eleven courses (minimum of 37 credit hours) in Art History, including:
- ARTHIST 101 and ARTHIST 102
- Either ARTVIS 111 or ARTVIS 112
- If taken before Fall 2014, one other Visual Arts course can fulfill this requirement
- Four courses at the 300 level or above, including at least one 400 level seminar
- One course in each of the four divisions
- Ancient Mediterranean
- Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque Europe
- Modern and contemporary art and architecture (in Europe, the United States, Africa or the African diaspora)
- Africa, Islam, Asia and the ancient Americas.
Only four hours of Supervised Reading and Research (ARTHIST 398) may be applied to the major.
No more than four hours taken S/U (with the department’s approval) may be applied to the major. Seminars (400-level courses) cannot be taken S/U.
Neither Honors (ARTHIST 495) nor an internship (ARTHIST 397) may be applied to the major.
Honors students are required to take one advanced seminar (500 or 700 level), which may be counted toward the major.