Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in Chinese Studies BA
|Hours To Complete||37 - 47|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
Students are required to take 9 courses (minimum 32 credit hours) beyond the prerequisites to complete the major.
1. Five language courses above 201 up to 400 level.
- Non-heritage track: 202, 301, 302, 401, 402
- Heritage track: 203, 303, 403
Students who are placed beyond 202 or 203 must take additional language courses at 300 and 400 levels or content courses to complete the required number of courses and credit hours.
2. Four content courses (electives) with no less than 14 credits. At least two of the courses must be from Category I of survey and foundational courses, and one of the four courses must be at 300 level. Content courses taken to meet the minimum requirements for the major must be at least 3 credits each. Electives must have at least 50% of content on China. No more than one lecture course from a non-Emory administered study-abroad program may be counted as an elective towards the major. Exceptions may be granted at the discretion of the major advisor. A full listing of electives for the major can be found on the program website
No courses for the major may be taken as S/U. Students must receive at least a C in each course taken for the major.
Non heritage track: Chinese 101, 102, 201. This requirement is waived for students who place above 201.
Heritage track: Chinese 103. This requirement is waived for students who place above 103.