Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in English BA
|Hours To Complete||36|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
All students except those in the andamp;#8220;4+1 Bachelorandamp;#8217;s/Masterandamp;#8217;s Programandamp;#8221; must take ten courses and a minimum of 36 credit hours in English for a letter grade. These courses must incorporate the following plan:
- English 205
- Four 300- or 400-level English courses in an area of concentration developed by the student with guidance from a faculty advisor
- Five electives
Included in these ten courses must be four courses other than ENG 205 that meet the following distribution requirements:
- One course in British literature before 1660
- One course in post-1660 British, Irish or other non-American Anglophone literature
- One course in American literature
- One course having a theoretical or interdisciplinary component
andamp;#160;Two of the four courses satisfying these distribution requirements must be at the 300 or 400 level.andamp;#160;
Important: The following courses do not count towards the major: 101, 181, 190 and 496R. No more than two creative writing courses may count toward the major.
Students in the andamp;#8220;4+1 Bachelorandamp;#8217;s/Masterandamp;#8217;s Programandamp;#8221; are subject to the above requirements except such students may count up to four graduate seminars toward their ten-course requirement. Two of these graduate seminars may be taken pass/fail and any may be counted toward the area of concentration.andamp;#160;
Ordinarily, a maximum of eight credit hours (two courses) earned off campus may be applied toward the major and at least two of the courses included within an area of concentration must be taken at Emory University.andamp;#160; Under extraordinary circumstances, the Director of Undergraduate Studies may approve petitions for exceptions to this rule.