Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Minor in Educational Studies
|Hours To Complete||20|
The Educational Studies Minor consists of a minimum of five courses (twenty hours). Educational Studies 201 (American Education) is required.
Three Breadth Courses: The purpose of the breadth requirement is to insure that all majors acquire systematic knowledge in what we view as five central areas. Consequently all minors must take three courses, one selected from three of the following five areas:
- Psychological Contest of Education,
- Social Context of Education,
- Cultural Context of Education,
- Historical/Philosophical Context of Education, and
- Methods of Disciplined Inquiry.
One Elective Course: Students must take an additional course to complete the minor. This course will be selected in consultation with the student's adviser.
The Division of Educational Studies (DES) is scheduled to close Summer 2017. Recognizing that the number of Educational Studies (EDS) courses available will be decreasing each year as this closing date approaches, students are no longer permitted to declare new majors or minors in Educational Studies. However, students who express an interest in the field of education, in most cases, will continue to be able to enroll in Educational Studies coursework through Summer 2017. Please contact either the Director of Undergraduate Studies or the Director of DES if you wish to express your interest educational studies, at which time you will be assigned an EDS adviser and be provided with further information. Ongoing advisement is critical during preregistration each semester since a permission number is required to enroll in most EDS courses.