Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in Sociology BA
|Hours To Complete||38|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
The major requires 12 courses (minimum 38 hours) in Sociology and a GPA of a 2.0 or higher within the major.
1. Required Courses: the following 3 courses are required for the major:
QTM 100: Introduction to Statistical Inference OR SOC 356: Social Research II
SOC 355: Social Research I
SOC 457: Development of Sociological Theory
2. Foundation Courses: majors must take 2 courses from the following group (you may select any two):
SOC 201: Organizations & Society
SOC 214: Class, Status, & Power
SOC 221: Culture & Society
SOC 245: Individual & Society
SOC 247: Race & Ethnic Relations
SOC 266: Global Change
3. Electives: the remaining 7 courses are elective courses. All sociology courses count as electives, with the following conditions:
Elective courses must be a minimum of 3 Credit Hours.
No more than 2 courses (8 hours) from the SOC 497R-499R series may count as an elective toward the major.
You may take one elective S/U. Most students don't do this because it is their major, but it is an option. All other courses must be taken for a letter grade.
Majors who study abroad can take up to three of their sociology electives abroad.