Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in Theater Studies BA
|Hours To Complete||43|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
A Theater Studies major must complete the following core courses for a total of 29-31 credit hours:
- One acting course: THEA 120, THEA 221 OR THEA 222
History, Literature, and Criticism
- THEA 210W: Reading for Performance
- THEA 215: History of Drama and Theater I
- THEA 216: History of Drama and Theater II
- THEA 410W: Aesthetics and Criticism
Design or Administration
- THEA 230: Principles of Design OR THEA 240: Arts Administration
- THEA 250: Directing I OR THEA 260: Ensemble OR THEA 370: Creating New Works
- THEA 130: Stagecraft
- THEA 200R: Theater Practicum (1 credit)
In addition to the core requirements, majors must complete three elective courses for a total of 9-12 credit hours.
- One of these must be at the 200-level or higher, and two must be at the 300-level or higher.
Auditions for the major or minor are not required.
Applicants are encouraged to visit the department, to submit a resume, and to send links to video clips. Web forms on the Theater and Dance website (under "Prospective Student") facilitate this process: Plan a Visit, Tell Us About Yourself, and Contact a Current Student.