Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in German Studies BA
|Hours To Complete||36 - 42|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
Students must complete 36-42 credit hours in German Studies courses to complete the major. The number of credit hours required for the major depends on the student’s placement into the German program:
- For students beginning with 101, 42 credit hours including 8 credits for the 101-102 sequence are required to complete the major;
- For students beginning with 102, 38 credit hours including 4 credits for 102 are required;
- For students beginning with courses numbered 201 or higher, 36 credit hours are required.
Regardless of placement, required components of the major include the following:
- 2 courses in German numbered 400 or higher, one of which must be completed during the student’s final year at Emory;
- GER 392 (1-credit conversation course, which is repeatable but may count for the major only once);
- An academic study abroad program in the German-speaking world:
- Emory’s Summer Study Abroad Program in Vienna (a minimum of 8 credit hours from this program can count toward the major), or
- One semester in Freiburg, Berlin, or Vienna through an approved program (a maximum of 12 credit hours can be counted from semester study abroad toward the major)
Students may substitute a maximum of 7 credit hours in courses on German-related topics approved by the German Studies Department and taught by either the German Studies Department or another department, such as Film Studies, History, Art History, Music, Political Science, or Philosophy. These courses may be taught in German, English, or Yiddish.