Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in Japanese BA
|Hours To Complete||36 - 42|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
JPN 202 and four more courses at the 300 and 400 levels (a total of five courses). All course progressions must be approved by the program's language coordinator. Language requirements may be fulfilled by demonstrating equivalent mastery of the language through oral and written examination administered by REALC. Students who are placed beyond 202 will take additional courses from lists A and B to equal the number of language classes skipped. Students must complete a minimum of 36 credits to graduate with a major in Japanese. Students who fall below this minimum must take additional electives from List A or List B to reach the minimum credit total
Four electives are required (totaling at least 12 credit hours). A minimum of two must be from List A. The remaining two may be taken in any of the following combinations: two from List A, one from List A and one from List B, or two from List B (a total of four courses). No courses for the major may be taken S/U. Students must receive at least a C in each course taken for the major. One course taken on study abroad (JPN 315) may count toward the four required electives. Courses not on this list that contain more than 50% Japan-related content may be approved at the discretion of the major/minor advisor.
- JPN 234 Japanese Linguistics
- JPN 270W Introduction to Japanese Culture
- JPN 372W Introduction to Modern Japanese Literature
- JPN 378W Postwar Japan through its Media
- JPN 232 Language Usage in Japanese Society
- JPN 275 Nature and Culture in Japan
- JPN 360 Japanese Modern Women Writers
- JPN 361 Genji: Sensuality and Salvation
- JPN 362 Samurai, Shoguns, and Women Warriors
- JPN 363 Literary and Visual Culture in Japan
- JPN 374 Japanese Literature: Reading and Writing the Classics
- JPN 375 Topics in Japanese Studies
- JPN 451 Great Writers of Modern Japan
- FILM 396R Non-Western Cinemas: Japanese Film
- HIST 371 Medieval and Early Modern Japan
- HIST 372 History of Modern Japan
JPN 101, 102, 201