Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in Jewish Studies BA
|Hours To Complete||35|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
- Core Course (3 credits) Choose from - JS 101, JS 125, JS 270, or JS 308
- Language (Max 6 credits) - any two Hebrew courses
- Electives – (22 credits)
- No more than one 100-level course.
- One class must be four credits.
- At least one course must be taken in each of three Topical Areas (Historical Studies; Religious Studies; Language, Literature and Culture) and two Chronological Areas (Premodern; Modern.) Note: The same class might fulfill both a Topical Area and a Chronological Area, but can only be used to fulfill one (example: A Modern Jewish Literature class
can be used to fulfill either the Topical Area of Language, Literature, and Culture OR the Historical Area of Modern, but not both).
- JS 490RW or any 4-credit course with writing (W) in which the final paper is written on a Jewish studies topic.