Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology BS
|Hours To Complete||61|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
The major requires a minimum of twelve courses in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology.
A sequence of four core courses includes:
- NBB 201 (Ant 200) Foundations of Behavior
- NBB 301 (Bio 360) Introduction to Neurobiology
- NBB 302 (Psych 353) Behavioral Neuroscience
- NBB 401/402W Perspectives in Neuroscience and Behavior
In addition to the core courses, a minimum of seven NBB electives are required (minimum of 3 credit hours each; some are 4 credit hours.) Note: Students may use only one of the following courses as an elective: Bio 205, Bio 250, Bio 264, Bio 301, Bio 302, Math 207, Math 361, Math 362, CS 153, Chem 203, Chem 204, Chem 301, and Chem 302.
Students with particular interests, e.g. premedical, graduate school, may be advised to take additional courses chosen by the student and advisor to fit the student’s plan
Pre-Requisites: All majors are required to take the following prerequisite courses:
- Bio 141/141L,
- Bio 142/142L,
- *Chem 150/150L,
- *Chem 202z/202zL,
- QTM 100,
- One quantitative course from the following list:
- Math 111, 112, 112z, 116, 211, 212, 221 or 275;
- Bio 212;
- CS 170;
- QTM 200
*The Chemistry curriculum recently changed, but students with credit for CHEM 141/141L and 142/142L OR CHEM 221Z/CHEM 221L have met this requirement for the NBB major.