Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in Philosophy and Religion BA
|Hours To Complete||56|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
A minimum of forty-five hours (thirteen courses) as follows:
- Religion Courses: 19-24 hours (six courses):
- One course from REL 301- 320 (or other tradition-specific course with approval of adviser);
- Religion 300;
- Four religion electives with at least two at 200-level or above.
- Philosophy Courses: 22-24 hours (six courses):
- Philosophy 110: Introduction to Logic;
- Philosophy 131: Introduction to Philosophy of Religion
- Two of these three courses: Philosophy 200W, 202W, 204W;
- Two electives, at the 300 level or above.
- Senior Seminar (one course): Either PHIL 431: Philosophy of Religion or PHIL/REL 470: Joint seminar in philosophy and religion.
The course work should be organized, in consultation with an adviser. Honors in the joint major in philosophy and religion may be earned by satisfying the honors requirements of either department.