Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in Quantitative Science BS
|Hours To Complete||50|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
A minimum of seven quantitative courses and a minimum of six additional courses in a student's substantive area of interest. Students must complete a total of 50 credit hours to complete the Quantitative Sciences B.S. degree. A number of substantive fields, like Biology and Informatics, require more than 50 credit hours because of additional curriculum requirements.
- QTM 110: Introduction to Scientific Methods
- QTM 150: Intro to Statistical Computing I
- QTM 151: Intro to Statistical Computing II
- QTM 210: Probability and Statistics
- QTM 220: Regression Analysis
- MATH 210: Advanced Calculus for Data Sciences
- MATH 221: Linear Algebra
- Choice of three QTM upper-level electives
Substantive Field Requirements
Choice of six courses in chosen field of interest.
- Architectural History
- Art History
- Biological Anthropology
- East Asian Studies
- International Studies
- Latin American and Caribbean Studies
- Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology
- Political Science
- Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies
Students' coursework in the field of their substantive interest will be compromised of no more than two (2) courses at the department's 100 level - i.e., introductory- with the remaining courses being taken at the 200, 300 or 400 levels, and at least one (1) being taken at the 300 or 400 level.
There are no official restrictions about what substantive field a student can concentrate in while pursuing the QSS degree. If a student is interested in a substantive field beyond this list, please contact us to discuss their major course policies.
Note: A student may count no more than two classes fulfilling their substantive course requirements towards a double major.
Additional Degree Requirements:???When necessary, a combination of QSS and substantive area courses of the student’s choosing may be taken to reach 50 the credit hour requirement.
MATH 111 OR MATH 115 OR MATH 119 OR equivalent test or transfer credit