Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in Arabic BA
|Hours To Complete||39|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
Requirements for the Major
- Four Language Courses- ARAB 201, ARAB 202, ARAB 301, ARAB 302
- Two Arabic Capstone Courses - ARAB 401, 402
- Two courses in either Arabic linguistics or Arabic literature, or a combination of the two. Examples of linguistics courses include: ARAB 425 (Arabic Dialectology), MESAS 420 (Judeo-Arabic) or courses in Arabic Sociolinguistics. Examples of literature courses include: Arabic 410 (Advanced Language and Culture), ARAB 497 (Supervised Reading in Arabic Literature), MESAS 211 (Arabic Literature), MESAS 315 (The Qu'ran), MESAS 415 (Great Books of the Islamic World).
- One Course in the culture of the Arab World. (e.g. one of the following): MESAS 210 (Arab World: Culture and Society), MESAS 260 (Cultures of the Middle East); MESAS 310 (Voices of Arab Women)
In addition, a summer or semester abroad program in an Arabic-speaking country is highly desireable.
Arabic 101 and Arabic 102