Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in Spanish and Linguistics BA
|Hours To Complete||45|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
- Required core courses (5 courses)
- Spanish 303
- Spanish 304 (may be substituted with Ling 201 by petition)
- A research methods course in Spanish or Linguistics (or other related field upon approval)
- Linguistics 101
- Linguistics 401 (only in senior year)
- Advanced 400-level courses in Spanish Linguistics (3 courses)
- Three different Spanish 410 courses
- Language course (1 course)
- 1 language course at any level in a language that is not Spanish
- Electives (at least 4 courses)
In consultation with the advisor, students should take additional courses to complete 45 credits from the following:
- At least 2 courses in Linguistics
- At least 2 courses in Spanish, which can be Span 212 or any other courses at the 300 or 400 levels
- Maximum of 15 credits from approved study abroad programs. Summer study abroad programs run directly by Emory faculty are excluded from this maximum.
- Approval from the program coordinator required for substitutions in the core courses (Ling 201 and research methods course).
Spanish 202 or similar level of Spanish language