Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Major in Spanish and Portuguese BA
|Hours To Complete||36|
|Declaration of Major Contact|
Courses Required as Pre-Requisites to the Major
- SPAN 202
- PORT 102 or PORT 110
Courses Required for the Major
- Five courses in Spanish (at least 15 credit hours), which must include:
- Two courses in Spanish numbered between 300 and 318,
- Two courses in Spanish at the 400 level,
- An additional course in Spanish numbered 212 or higher.
- Five courses in Portuguese (at least 15 credit hours), which must include:
- Two courses in Portuguese at the 200 level,
- Two courses in Portuguese at the 300 or 400 level,
- An additional course in Portuguese numbered 211 or higher.
- Electives (0-6 credit hours)
If more courses are needed to complete the 36 credit hour minimum, these courses (in Spanish, Portuguese, or other relevant fields) must be approved by the Director of Portuguese.
Maximum of 12 credits for major from study abroad. Programsdirected by departmental faculty are excluded from this maximum.