Academic Majors & Minors
- Students can declare a major/minor during, or after the second semester of their freshman year. Students should declare a major/minor no later than the end of the sophomore year.
- No more than 2 concentrations allowed, either:
- 2 majors OR
- 1 major and 1 minor OR
- 1 major
- Maintain at least a C (2.0) average in any major or minor.
- Only one (1) undergraduate degree may be earned from Emory.
Minor in Middle Eastern and South Asian Studies
|Hours To Complete||18|
|Declaration of Minor Contact|
Students in the minor will pursue a track either in the Middle East or South Asia. The requirements in both tracks include a core course, two language courses, and two or three elective courses.
Requirements for the Middle Eastern Track
- Core Course: MESAS 100: Introduction to Middle Eastern Civilization (3 credits)
- Language Courses: Two language sequence in Arabic, Modern Hebrew, or Persian (6 credits minimum). The language course progression is approved by the department.
- Elective Courses: Two or three elective courses on the Middle East to reach the 18-credit hour minimum from the following list: MESAS 120, 125(W), 160, 210, 211(W), 270(W), 310, 311, 314(W), 315(W), 316, 317, 318(W), 319, 320, 348, 362, 366, 375, 414(W), 415(W), 430
Requirements for the South Asia Track
- Core Course: MESAS 102: Introduction to South Asian Civilization (3 credits
- Language Courses: Two language sequence in Hindi or Tibetan (6 credits minimum). The language course progression is approved by the department.
- Elective Courses: Two or three elective courses on South Asia to reach the 18-credit hour minimum from the following list: MESAS 160, 205R, 235, 240, 303R, 304, 330, 332(W), 335, 337, 228, 370(W)
*No more than two courses may be taken outside of MESAS (e.g. study abroad, transfer credit) for the minor.