Admissions / Prerequisites
Auditions for the major or minor are not required.
Applicants are encouraged to complete and submit the Tell Us About Yourself form and plan a visit to the department. The form is available on the Theater and Dance website (under “Future Students”).
A Theater Studies major must complete the following core courses for a total of 29-31 credit hours:
- THEA 120
History, Literature, and Criticism
- THEA 210W: Reading for Performance
- THEA 215: History of Drama and Theater I
- THEA 216: History of Drama and Theater II
- THEA 410W: Aesthetics and Criticism
Design or Administraton
- THEA 230: Principles of Design OR THEA 240: Arts Administration
- THEA 250: Directing I OR THEA 260: Ensemble OR THEA 370: Creating New Works
- THEA 130: Stagecraft
- THEA 200R: Theater Practicum (1 credit)
Topics and Issues
- THEA 396R: Theater Colloquia (1 credit)
In addition to the core requirements, majors must complete three elective courses for a total of 9-12 credit hours.
- One of these must be at the 200-level or higher, and two must be at the 300-level or higher.
- One of the 300-level courses must be in the area of History, Literature, and Criticism. (Some courses in other departments are approved for this requirement.)
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade (with the exception of THEA 396R).
- THEA 100, Introduction to Theater, does not count towards the major. When Introduction to Theater is taught as a freshman seminar (THEA 190), it does not count toward the major.