Admissions / Prerequisites
Auditions for the major or minor are not required.Applicants are encouraged to visit the department, to submit a resume, and to send links to video clips. Web forms on the Theater and Dance website (under “Prospective Student”) facilitate this process: Plan a Visit, Tell Us About Yourself, and Contact a Current Student.
A Theater Studies major must complete the following core courses for a total of 29-31 credit hours:
- One acting course: THEA 120, THEA 221 OR THEA 222
History, Literature, and Criticism
- THEA 210W: Reading for Performance
- THEA 215: History of Drama and Theater I
- THEA 216: History of Drama and Theater II
- THEA 410W: Aesthetics and Criticism
Design or Administraton
- THEA 230: Principles of Design OR THEA 240: Arts Administration
- THEA 250: Directing I OR THEA 260: Ensemble OR THEA 370: Creating New Works
- THEA 130: Stagecraft
- THEA 200R: Theater Practicum (1 credit)
Topics and Issues
- THEA 396R: Theater Colloquia (1 credit)
In addition to the core requirements, majors must complete three elective courses for a total of 9-12 credit hours.
- One of these must be at the 200-level or higher, and two must be at the 300-level or higher.
- One of the 300-level courses must be in the area of History, Literature, and Criticism. (Some courses in other departments are approved for this requirement.)
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade (with the exception of THEA 200R & THEA 396R).
- THEA 100, Introduction to Theater, does not count towards the major. When Introduction to Theater is taught as a freshman seminar (THEA 190), it does not count toward the major.