Main content

Student Complaints Procedure

Emory College of Arts and Sciences Complaints Process

Student complaints can be categorized into four major areas: academic, non-academic, discrimination/harassment, or appeals of any of the previously mentioned areas.

Emory encourages each student to handle complaints as close to the source as possible. Each school has their own procedures usually explained at orientation or in their respective catalogs. Academic or other concerns usually begin with student service personnel in each school who route their concerns to the appropriate school authority. Student concerns can have many facets; even when escalated, they may require a review of issues with school personnel who are closest to the situation. This practice generally results in greater student satisfaction as issues can typically be resolved more quickly. Judgments on the appropriateness of decisions regarding complaints made within a college are most appropriately made by individuals with expertise in the particular area.

What documentation is required to constitute a formal complaint?

Student complaints must be submitted in writing and accompanied by relevant documentation describing

  1. the specific action, practice or decision that is being challenged
  2. the impact of the decision
  3. what resolution is desired
  4. why it should be granted.

To expedite a prompt resolution, complaints should include current contact information of the individual filing the complaint. Responses to the complaint including the final decision will be provided in writing within 90 business days of receipt of the complaint. Complaints can be submitted either in hard copy or via e-mail to the relevant University Officer or Committee.

Where should I submit my formal complaint?

Request for an Exception to an Academic Policy

Requests for exceptions to standing academic policy are handled by the Committee on Academic Standards. Students wishing to file for an academic exception should, in the first instance, follow the procedures outlined on the Committee on Academic Standards website.

Grade Disputes

Students who wish to dispute a grade in a course or assignment should submit their complaint in writing to the Director of Undergraduate Studies in the relevant department. Departments may have specific requirements and procedures for grade appeals, and students should consult with the departments and Directors of Undergraduate Studies for details. A full list of Directors of Undergraduate Studies can be found here.

General Complaints

Students who wish to make a general complaint not covered by the processes for academic exceptions or grade disputes should submit those to the Office for Undergraduate Education, White Hall 300, 301 Dowman Drive, Atlanta, 30322 or by e-mailing

State of Georgia Complaints Process

Federal financial aid laws and regulations require that each state has a process to review and act on complaints concerning educational institutions in the state. You may file a complaint with the State of Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission (GNPEC) website at to submit your complaint/grievance with the state. You may also contact GNPEC by mail or by phone at the following address and/or phone number: Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission, 2082 East Exchange Place, Suite 220, Tucker, Georgia 30084-5305; Office: 770-414-3300, Fax: 770-414-3309. Please be aware that: "The Commission requires that students utilize and complete their institution's grievance procedure in an attempt to resolve any complaint or concern before submitting a complaint to the Commission. If the institution's resolution is not satisfactory, a student may then appeal to the Commission, but it will not investigate a complaint unless the student has exhausted all available grievance procedures outlined by the institution."