Main content


Yellow Ribbon

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program is a provision of the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. As a Yellow Ribbon participant, Emory College of Arts and Sciences offers an award of $7,000.00 per academic year to twenty-six students; the VA will match this award not to exceed the cost of attendance. The award is given if students are continuously enrolled in the College (excepting summers) and remain eligible to receive Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Beginning in fall 2022, students must complete an Emory VA Certification Request Form with the Registrar’s Office each semester to receive VA benefits. Students interested in receiving Veterans Education benefits, regardless of Yellow Ribbon status, should contact Emory’s School Certifying Officials in the University Registrar’s Office at to ensure that enrollment is officially reported to the Veterans Administration. Further information on benefits eligibility is available from the Veterans Affairs website. 

Guidelines for Yellow Ribbon Award Application 

A Yellow Ribbon application consists of 1) a completed Emory VA Benefits Enrollment Form which is available on the University Registrar’s website; and 2) a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility obtained from the VA that indicates that the student is eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® at the 100% level.  

Emory College of Arts and Sciences will accept Yellow Ribbon applications by email attachment or by paper applications mailed or hand delivered to Emory College of Arts and Sciences, 300 White Hall, Atlanta, GA, 30322. Yellow Ribbon applications should be sent to the attention of Emily Tallant, Senior Associate Director of Student Records, Office for Undergraduate Education or by e-mail to Applications are received on an ongoing basis and the awards are given on a first come, first served basis.  


Department of Veterans Affairs Pending Payment Rights

In compliance with Title 38 United States Code Section 3679(e) Emory University adheres to the following provisions for any student(s) that are/is considered “a covered individual” who are using Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®, or Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs benefits:

The University will not:

  1. Prevent the student’s enrollment in classes
  2. Asses a penalty fee (late fees, administrative fees) due to delayed disbursements from the Department of Veterans Affairs under Chapter 31 or Chapter 33
  3. Deny access to any school resources, classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities that are available to other paid students
  4. Require the student to borrow additional funds for the length of time these provisions are applicable

The university will require students to provide the following documents to be considered a “covered individual”:

  • An official “Certificate of Eligibility”, or “Statement of Benefits” from the VA website or ebenefits [Chapter 33] or a VAF 28-1905 [Chapter 31] on or before the first day of class for the semester.
  • A completed Veterans Enrollment Certification Student Data Form
  • Any additional documentation required to ensure proper certification of benefits

Having met all requirements, the Department of Veterans Affairs will provide the university with payment ending on the earlier of either:

  • The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution,
  • Ninety (90) days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees

Any difference in the amount of the student’s financial obligation to the university and the amount the student is eligible to receive from the Department of Veterans Affairs may incur an additional fee, or payment/payment arrangement may be required to cover the difference.

Please note that all eligibility documents must be submitted to the School Certifying Official in the Office of the University Registrar.

Instructions for submission of this paperwork can be found on the Office of the University Registrar website.